Scripture: Luke 9:18-24; 46-48; 51 and Luke 9:57-62 (below).
The Cost of Following Jesus
57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
59 He said to another man, “Follow me.”
But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
61 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”
62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”
Following Jesus is our identity.
Jesus definition of follower...
- “For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.”
- The great don’t vie for position.
- The great serve
Why the tough demands?...
- To follow is to identify with his mission
- To follow is to connect with God
- Not distracted
- Not self-centered
- Christ-centered with purpose
- What could you accomplish if each of you pledged to be a follower of Christ committed to serving him?
- Where does Christ want to lead you as people who are committed to his mission of bringing men and women, boys and girls into a living relationship with God?
Question for Reflection
What's the difference between being a fan versus being a follower?